Whether a cash rich company or one on the up, great Leadership will make the difference in ‘How’ you’ll reach the firm’s objectives and ‘When’ too.
As a director within supply and logistics of building material, using positive leadership, I led a great team to move location, while still trading and growing all during the last recession!
This recession attacked the finances of every business. Consequently, focusing inwardly became the new emphasis but NOT in a good way! Staffing levels reduced, outside training obliterated and cutting costs became the norm. Leadership was all about how to maximise the output using the constant restraints of cuts. This has now frequently become ingrained in the current work methodology.
Maslow wrote in 1966 “I suppose it is tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail!” Based on this observation, if leadership continues to adopt the aforementioned attitude, growth will actually be hindered so now is a great time to look towards creating the new order.
Consider this thought… “If you are to stay on the same path, you will inevitably reach the same destination!” Now is the time to be ahead of the game and carve a new path.
How is the ‘Leadership’ in your organisation? Is there fresh inspiration? Can someone internally hold the mantle in going forward, if not, then maybe external help. Does the team lack motivation? Are you still focusing on process via transactional driven leadership rather than positive ‘relationship’ leadership? Be truly honest when reflecting on this question as opposed to what you wish was the reality.
How do we start taking real positive steps forward?…
- Internal S+O to fix business W+T ~ Using the SWOT (Strength, Weaknesses, Opportunities & Threats) acronym, look for the strengths within your teams. Not just the obvious ones. Find the Strengths and Opportunities within to see how they can assist with resolving the Weaknesses and Threats.
- Aristotle: “The sum of the total is greater than the sum of its parts” ~ Allow different sectors to work together. Conjoin ideas to overcome the obstacles. Take ideas from everywhere. Ie Speak to accounts, admin, sales, marketing about logistical transport issues, great ideas can come from a myriad of different locations. Simply learn to be open-minded.
- Open Communication ~ Develop trust between team members and hold open conversations where no ‘new’ idea will be ridiculed but rather explored! With all changes, keep those around up to date so they can’t make their own ‘assumptions’. Remember to ‘Receive’ as well… after all, communication means “the activity of conveying information through the exchange of information”. Do not assume, communicate!
- Clarity of Direction ~ Set ‘Clear’ goals. This way members ‘know’ what they should be doing or aiming for. Use SMART goals, yes, we all know OF them but how many put them into PRACTICE? I’ve found they can be really beneficial if set realistically and worked towards.
- motivate .. Motivate .. oh, and MOTIVATE! ~ We frequently set off with all the best intentions only to fall back to ‘Old ways’ a month or two down the line. Motivation is tricky to uphold but look to see what makes your team buzz. Keep on top of the SMART goals, keep lines of communication open, work to unite not segregate. Look to the internal strengths to fill the business holes. And while you’re at it, why not have a look at Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs?
This is just the start to creating a positive workforce, there are many more ways but all are generated around emotional behaviour as opposed to system checklists. Try out some new ideas, involve others around and see what difference it makes!
Coaching to success work with many teams and their leaders in creating a pleasurable working environment where a smile carries so much more productivity than trying to work with processes alone.
Check out our other features to find out more or contact Neil Nutburn direct at email@example.com or call 07761 187238 to arrange an complimentary meeting and if you’re online, have a look at his interview video at https://youtu.be/RvCwOL4hPco where you’ll be assured a warm welcome to discuss how we can help.